Our history is, in large part, a history of mission work carried on by members of the now inactive First and Second Presbyterian churches of Springfield, OH. This work began on February 11, 1877. The First and Second Presbyterian Churches bult a chapel at the corner of Mason Street and Stanton Avenue on a lot donated by the heirs of Dr. Robert Rodgers. The dedication was held February 12, 1879.
In 1891 a joint meeting of the sessions of the First and Second Presbyterian Churches was held for the purpose of organizing Third Presbyterian Church. Permission was sought from the Presbytery when the sessions decided to move forward. A committee from the Presbytery of Dayton met on May 11, 1891 and granted permission to formally organize the church. There were 1104 members of the newly formed Third Presbyterian Church. In June of 1891, the church extended a call to the first pastor, Rev. George H. Fullerton. D.D.
On December 22, 1918, the name of the church was changed to Northminster Presbyterian. The original building was located at 712 North Limestone Street. It is currently registered as a historical landmark and serves as Fellowship Christian Church’s Spring Hill campus.
Between 1954 and 1968 some United Presbyterians, interested in new church development on Springfield’s north side, began discussions to form a new congregation. The first service of this new mission church was on August 12, 1956, at Westside School on U.S. 68 North. Over the next several months a manse and church building were purchased at the current location 400 Villa Road, Springfield, OH. The Rev. William Harper was the first minister of what would be called Valley View United Presbyterian Church. The church building was dedicated on October 13, 1957, at which time there were 94 communicant members.
In 1971, the Northminster congregation (320 members) located on North Limestone Street and the Valley View United Presbyterian Church (170 members) at the Villa Road location decided to merge. They did so through the work of the sessions and the Miami Presbytery. The new congregation began its life together at the Northminster Limestone location with the understanding that its permanent home would be the Villa Road site. The permanent relocation to the Vill Road site took place August 28, 1972, and coincided with the calling of Rev. Franklin Sparks as the first pastor of the newly merged congregation. Upon Rev. Sparks’ retirement from Northminster on January 31, 1997, the congregation conferred the title Pastor Emeritus upon him.
Rev. Scott Loomer was called as pastor on February 1, 1999, and served until 2005. In May of 2007, Rev. Dwight McCormick was called as pastor of Northminster Presbyterian Church and concluded his call to serve with us in August of 2023. Our electronic Allen organ was purchased through the generosity of the members of the church in 2008. Our current roll has 124 active members, and we average 50 people in worship weekly.
The Presbyterian Women of Northminster Presbyterian Church support several local mission projects through the annual church bazaar including:
- Clifton Avenue Church of God Food Pantry
- Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Nehemiah Foundation
- On the Rise
- Osterline Services
- Project Woman
- Safe Harbor
- Salvation Army
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Springfield Promise Neighborhood
- Springfield Soup Kitchen
Our building is utilized by many local community organizations such as Cub Scout Pack 131, and Boy Scout Troop 311, quilt guild, Young Women’s Mission, Springfield Dulcimer Club and Plena Vida Seventh Day Adventist Church.
In October of 2015, $120,000 worth of renovations, including the ceiling beam and windows in the Sanctuary, have been completed. Through the generosity of members, two-thirds of the funds were raised over and above our annual budget.
The primary local mission work of our church is with Clifton Avenue Church of God Food Pantry. Our congregation members, through the organizing efforts of the Deacons, buy bags of groceries quarterly to give to the pantry. In addition, elders, deacons, and other church members partner with the Clifton Avenue Church of God one Saturday a month to serve breakfast to people in need.
During the Covid Pandemic Northminster closed its doors and went to online worship services only for at least six months. Utilizing the best information we had at the time, we gradually opened up in person services again utilizing masks and social distancing. We emerged from the pandemic with 21 members having died. Upon our in person return we have an average worship attendance of around 50 people per week.
As part of trying to rally remaining members and visitors we have adopted the Matthew 25 Initiative of the Presbyterian Church USA. This designation means we are seeking to live out our calling by being a vital congregation that is seeking to eradicate poverty and dismantle structural racism. You can visit this link to learn more: https://www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/matthew-25/.